Does your smile make you uncomfortable? Are you tired of having to hide your front teeth? Are your misplaced teeth the reason for your lack of self-confidence? Hello dental veneers!
What are dental veneers?
Dentists use dental veneers to cover your teeth for aesthetic purposes. They have the benefit of not needing you to undergo more invasive surgery. Such as dental implants.
The prosthetic device can be used to cover a single tooth or multiple. This depends on your specific needs. For instance, if you have one tooth that looks bad, you can cover only the surface of the tooth in question. The same can be done for the entire front surface of your teeth.
How does the veneer process go?
The way dental veneers work is quite simple. Your dentist will make a mould of your existing teeth after they have been prepared.
This preparation is the disadvantage of dental veneers:
- The dentist needs to remove some enamel from your existing teeth, to place the dental veneers on them. You might not be in favour of this.
- The process of removing enamel is irreversible. Once you have your veneer put on, you will depend on it for the rest of your life.
Once preparation is complete and the impression taken, it is then sent to a dental lab. This lab will make the veneers fit perfectly on your teeth.
Once they're ready, the dentist places them on the front surface of your teeth. And that's it! You have perfect front teeth!
How much do veneers cost?
The answer to this question depends on the type of veneer you choose to go over your teeth. The type of veneer depends on the material used during the manufacturing process. The main subcategories are:
- porcelain veneers, also known as ceramic veneers
- composite veneers, aka resin veneers
- zirconia veneers
A rough rule of thumb applies. Usually composite veneers are cheaper than porcelain veneers. And zirconia veneers are more expensive than the other two.
Here is some advice on how to care for your veneers:
- Practice good oral hygiene. Veneers must be taken care of as if they are your natural teeth. They can get chipped, stained, or damaged. Make sure you brush your teeth often and use other oral health products.
- Avoid biting hard food/materials. If you are in the habit of chewing your pen, stop. Avoid biting ice and other hard foods. Or using your teeth instead of scissors. You can lose a natural tooth by doing that. Same applies to a veneer.
In fact tooth veneers are not to replace oral health! You cannot wear them unless your natural tooth is healthy. That is why you must fix any issues to your teeth before veneers are placed.
However dental veneers have improved the lives of millions of people. You will be happy with your new smile.