Optometrists provide vision and eye care services. Their focus is on consistent vision care and prescription of eyeglasses and contact lenses. Optometrists provide a variety of services in which they:
- conduct of vision examinations,
- specify treatment of conditions such as short-sightedness and astigmatism,
- prescribe and fit glasses and contact lenses,
- provide low vision aids and vision therapy,
- diagnose eye conditions such as glaucoma and cataracts, and
- participate in pre- or post-operative care for people who need surgery.